Sunday, January 13, 2008

Focus Title: Woodsong by Gary Paulsen

Our latest focus title, Woodsong by Gary Paulsen, is a memoir of his adventures with a dog team. The first section of the book gives an account of how both domestic and wild animals taught him about nature. The second section is a daily log of the first time he ran the Iditarod, an 1122 mile dog sled race across Alaska, in 1983. Gary Paulsen is the author of the modern young adult classic Hatchet and many other fine books for both children and adults.

Click here for Gary Paulsen's 2008 Iditarod profile and links to other official Iditarod information. Another link is Gary Paulsen at Random House.

An older Woodsong cover

The newest Woodsong cover

The original Woodsong cover

Adult readers who enjoy adventurous nonfiction may enjoy Gary Paulsen's Winterdance. This book tells the same story as Woodsong, but it is written for a more mature audience. I read the book years ago and loved it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that Gary Paulsen is an amazing writer.I ordered some other books by him,including Hachet.I think the blog is cool. sincerly, Tyler

Anonymous said...

I think ill read it when I'm done with the deltora Quest series because more matue.


your student,


Fidelis

Anonymous said...

I meant mature not matue


your student,

Fidelis

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr.Blount,
I liked the book.I still do not understand the fact that he was considering to turn around and not finish the race!To me,I would want to see what place I was in,and,go home to a nice,fresh cup of hot chocolate.

-Holly

Anonymous said...

were readign wood song and where doing a bio poem for him and i was wondering what gary felt while wirting wood song?

nicole ,.,j