Monday, January 14, 2008

Featured Student: Holly


I knew Holly was a gifted writer when I first read her freewriting homework and poetry at the beginning of the year. She truly has the heart of a poet and knows how to put her thoughts on paper. She is self-motivated and writes from an inner drive rather than because of a class assignment.

Holly has started a blog to publish her poetry online. One of my dreams when I started the Mr. Blount's Classroom blog was to hopefully inspire my students to start blogs of their own and encourage independent writing. Holly has done that. You can visit Holly's blog, Next Great Idea With Hollister by clicking here.

This week we received notification that Holly's poem "Autumn Leaves" will be published in Creative Communications' A Celebration of Young Poets anthology. Holly had submitted her poem earlier in the year without my knowledge. I think she had forgotten about it too.

As her teacher, I am so proud of Holly for being true to herself, designing her own blog, and for getting her first poem published.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right!I did forget about submitting for the contest!When you first asked me that,I did'nt know what to think.My mom wants to purchase A Celebration of Young Poets because it is my first time getting published.When you told me that my poem was going to be published,I had to wait untill I got home to scream as loud as I could!My mom was scared that something bad happened!After I told her,she was calling everybody we knew.The phone was off the hook!
Holly

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr.Blount I think that it is a great idea to have the people that have there own blog on the page.So that parents can see that our class gets very into the stuff we do.
ANDREA TREVINO

Anonymous said...

Mr.B,
Yes I know this post is from last year,but I just had to tell you something.I totally wish I could tell you in person,but they keep enforcing the rule on not visiting your old teachers.Well yesterday,my friend Chelsea and I went to the Jonas Brothers concert(they were so awesome!)but right before we left my mom brought in the mail and guess what?!?We got the package of the second book I was published in,I'm on page fifteen!And today I came home and my mom called me and told me that I got more mail...I got published again!It was the summer version of A Celebration of Young Poets but my poem was about 9/11 and the twin towers!I hope I can see you soon and show you!

Holly Turcich

Nathan's Uncle said...

Holly, as your teacher, I couldn't be prouder. I think you should enter every contest available this year. There is no telling what it could lead to. Mr. B