Saturday, December 15, 2007

Wildfire!

Standing L to R: Chandler, Hunter, Jeff
Kneeling L to R: Josh, Ian, Aramis


When school started, Ian was not an avid reader. But when you have a "mean" teacher like Mr. Blount who makes you read at least three grade-level books and do three book responses per grading period, you have to find books that interest you. Ian discovered the Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan in the Tomlin media center, and the rest is history. His book responses have had nothing short of a wildfire effect in class, and now no less than five or six other students are currently reading the series, which is exactly what I wanted to happen. I am not a fan of the horror genre, nor do I promote it, but I am always happy when my students catch the reading spark.

Another book making the rounds in both AM and PM classes is Stuck in Neutral. I read this short novel a few years back when it was recommended at a workshop I attended on professional study day. I had a hardcover copy of the book in my teacher library, but it was not available in paperback from Scholastic Book Clubs until this year, so I ordered several copies for the classroom library. I knew the book would get the attention of my readers when I shared the dustjacket blurb.

My name is Shawn McDaniel.
I'm 14 years old.
I think my father is planning to kill me.

Shawn is confined to a wheelchair and appears to be a human vegetable. What no one knows is that on the inside he is brilliant. Shawn has seizures, and his father can't stand to see his son suffer. Sound like an intriguing plot?


While I'm at it, I want to mention a couple of authors whose books caught fire last year when Mr. Blount's Classroom didn't have a blog. Robby introduced the class to the Mike Lupica sports fiction titles. Miracle on 49th Street is the latest Lupica title available from Scholastic Book Clubs.


Nick R. started the Sharon Draper Hazelwood High Trilogy fire. Perhaps the Draper titles will reignite this year.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cirque du freak sonds lame but after i saw how much of my classmate like it i cant wait tell i go to the library
georgette :]

TanyaGorra22 said...

This is a really great idea, I appreciate you taking the time to do this for our children.

Anonymous said...

the web site is awsome but the story about the wild fire is kind of like something i know about but you see i completed my homework



{sincerly, tacoria reynolds}