Sunday, May 4, 2008

Focus Title: Daniel's Story


We have been doing our World War II and the Holocaust unit of study for several weeks now, and we recently finished reading Daniel's Story, our unit focus novel. Daniel's Story is the official children's book of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Many teachers of Holocaust education prefer to use diaries and memoirs of the period rather than fiction with their students, and I truly recognize the value of first-person literature. Although Daniel's Story is fiction, it is based primarily on actual events, and it gives the young reader a great introductory overview of the period. I think it is a good story, and my students really enjoy it.

Our Holocaust unit of study incorporates many different resources including informational and picture books, slides from my trips to Holocaust sites in Poland and Yad Vashem in Israel, documentaries and movies, various learning activities, viewing of primary sources, and a truly special event you will hear more about this week. Of all the literary and thematic units I have conducted over the years, our study of the Holocaust is the one my former students seem to remember the most. As well it should be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hannah - That was a good book!!

Anonymous said...

I liked the book Daniels story because it connected to what really did happen during the
Holocaust. Only if it were true it would be more fascinating because every single part of the story that includes action you would know that, that really did happen.

Anonymous said...

me to i agree with sydney about the book also daniels story was a very nice sad/happy story
georgette

Anonymous said...

I agrre with georgette also.

Anonymous said...

Hay Mr. B!
Its Holly Turcich!I miss your class so much!I see you have a couple of blooming poets here!But anyway i can't forget!I just thought i'd tell you that you know that book the boy in the stripped pajamas you were always talkin bout last year?Well I was sitting here doin math homework(ugh)and guess what?Its becoming a movie!I thought i was in 6th grade again!Im totally going to see it!It looked so sad knowing about all the stuff in the holocaust!I hope you see it too!Bye!